Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra Walking Tour
Duration : 3 hours
Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra is the oldest and most revered monastery of Kyivan Rus', the main shrine of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, one of the most famous monuments of the Christian world.
Hitherto pilgrims from all over the world travel to Kyiv to venerate saints whose incorrupt relics rest in caves, and to pray before miraculous icons. The Lavra was founded in 1051. Since then, spiritual life never faded on the shores of the Dnieper. No hardships, destruction, persecution, explosions and fires ever interrupted the eternal mission of the Lavra.
The complex of Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra is listed as the UNESCO World Heritage. In the Lavra caves are kept more than 200 relics of saints. The monastery houses a number of historical and cultural museums in Ukraine. During the tour you will learn about the history of the monastery, about the way of life of ordinary monks and the deeds of saints. You will have a look into the caves - maybe you will be able to solve at least one their puzzles. You will see modest monastic cells and wondrous temples, the Church of All Saints - the pearl of Ukrainian Baroque, the "heaven-like" Cathedral of the Assumption, Holy Trinity Church preserved from the XII century, as well as admire one of the most beautiful views of the majestic Dnieper.
In the Caves You will see: 74 incorruptible relics rest saints, among them:
- the burial place of cell and the founder of the monastery of St.Anthony;
- relics of the first chronicler of Rus - st. Nestor the Chronicler;
- relics of St.Alypy - the founder of ancient Rus icons;
- the power of the legendary hero - st. Elijah of Murom;
- relics of St.Nikola hypocrites - Prince of Chernigov;
- relics of St.Agapit doctor;
- keliya tomb and Venerable Theodosius Pechersky abbot;
- relics of St.Illarion hermit (Metropolitan Kyiv);
- relics of St.Prince Theodore of Ostrog;
- relics of the Holy Martyr Vladimir (Epiphany) Metropolitan of Kyiv and Galicia;
- Holy Myrrh-streaming head unknown saints.
Important! When visiting the caves and churches of the Kyiv Pechersk Lavra, women have to cover their heads and wear long skirts covering the knees (you may rent a skirt at the entrance to the caves).